Настройки отображения

Размер шрифта:
Цвета сайта:


About the inscription "Le Roi a Paris"

The marking of the dials "Le Roi a Paris" is a marketing ploy, the desire to attract buyers. At the end of XIX - early XX centuries the German watch companies used the name of the famous French watchmakers dynasty of the XVIII century.

Julien Le Roy the father (1686-1759) was a court watchmaker of Louis the XV and was glorified by Voltaire as the inventor of the clockwork excelling the quality of the English ones, which had traditionally been considered to the best in the world. Pierre Le Roy the son (1717-1785) (it was him whom Pushkin describes as "glorious") not only kept his father's inventive activity, but also explored the abnormality of chronometric measurements which he had discovered earlier. He was awarded the prize of the Paris Academy of Science for his works, especially because they had an important meaning in military and navigation business.

Many watch companies in Germany used this label, among them there were «Shlenkler-Kienzle», «Yunghans», «FMS and PHS», «HAU» and others .

The striking wall-clock

The striking wall-clock. It was made in the late XIX - early XX century (from 1892 to 1917 period) in Germany. The clock was made at the factory «Hamburg Amerikanische Urenfabrik», as the stamp in the form of two crossed arrows on the dial and the stamp on the backside of the watch evidence. There are two openings for clock winding in the lower part of the dial. The top cover can be opened. In the lower part of the case there is a leaning back door on a metal loop with a hook, locking the lid. This door is an opening for the chains. Unfortunately, he chains and weights for the clock are lost. In the center of the round dial with Roman numerals there is the inscription «Le Roi a Paris» (which means in translation from French the "King of Paris").

At the bottom of the case cover there is a plate with the inscription "Schetinin and Lepsky. Elets. Zadonsk "(trading house).

The clock was bought by the Museum from Polbennikov Valentin Mstislavovich in 1995.

Wall clock with a pendulum

The wall clock with a pendulum. Most likely, the clock mechanism is of German production and the wooden case is of Russian one. It was produced in the second half of the XIX century. The walls of the case and the doors through which one can see the dial and the pendulum are glazed. There is an inscription in French «Le Roi and Paris» on the bottom of the dial. It means "The King of Paris." There is a monogram «R = A» amidst the engraved floral ornament on the pendulum.

These clocks were imported massively into the Russian Empire in the early twentieth century since wealthy Russians wanted to have clocks of the highest German quality with a beautiful French charm.

Our clock was purchased by the museum from Larisa Sergeevna Vlasova, a Bogoroditsk native.

A table clock

The bronze mantelpiece clock. It was made in Paris at the beginning of the XIX century. It is a rare specimen of the clock, produced by the company, which was founded by the court watchmaker of Louis XV Julien Le Roy (1686-1759).

The clock was purchased by the Museum from muscovite N.I. Pavlyukova in 1983.

Mainly clock décor of the XIX century is very symbolic. Many of them symbolized the power of the monarch's power and generated public taste. Their décor was a propaganda tool of certain political views. On the top of our watch there is a bust of the commander and statesman Napoleon Bonaparte as an illustration of the era values. The clock is decorated with figures of sea Pegasus and the image of ancient myths character Medusa as a symbol of victory over evil.

The History of «Hamburg Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik» factory

The factory was founded in 1876 in the Black Forest (Germany) by Landenbergerom Paul and Phillip Lang. Initially it was called «Landenberger & Lang Uhrenfabrik». The factory was engaged in the production of components for common clocks of that time, but they didn’t produce clocks themselves. In 1883 it was renamed to «Hamburg Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik» (HAU) or «Hamburg American Clock Company» (HAC). In 1892 the company registered their known trade mark - two crossed arrows. That time the factory released different modifications of clocks: table, wall, floor, factory and others. The clocks of this factory were exported to many countries, but the main markets beside Germany were England and North America.

During the Great Depression they sold their assets to the giant «Junghans» and in 1930 the company was sold out completely. The mark ceased to exist.


Please turn device.

This is necessary to correctly display the content.